Mughals brought with them the West Asian tradition of developing gardens to symbolically represent paradise on earth. Planning and design of the Hayat Bakhsh Bagh or “Life-Bestowing Garden” was integrated into the design of the Red Fort. The garden comprised many aesthetically designed structures such as, tanks, pavilions, water channels and fountains which complimented flowers of varying colours and trees of various kinds. The pavilions were decorated with stonework and lit by lamps at night. A few other smaller gardens like the Mehtab Bagh (moonlight garden) were also constructed in the Red Fort.
Two pavilions called Savan and Bhadon stand at either end of the north-south channel. Two smaller pavilions were added in 1842 by the last Mughal emperor, Bahadur Shah Zafar, one of which still stands along the eastern wall.