Nicholson Cemetery, formerly known as the Old Delhi Military Cemetery and the Kashmere Gate Cemetery, is a Christian cemetery located in Kashmere Gate area. It is located near the Kashmere Gate Metro Station and west of the Inter State Bus Terminal.
It is the site of the earliest known Christian burials in Delhi NCR. The cemetery was established in 1857 and is named after Brigadier-General John Nicholson, a Victorian era military officer who played a pivotal role during the Indian Rebellion of 1857.
The number of casualties resulted from the Siege of Delhi created the rising demand for a Christian cemetery in the area. A new burial-ground was opened in front of the Kashmere Gate, near to Ludlow Castle. Nicholson was among the first people who were buried there. A white marble slab from the Red Fort was taken to build his tombstone and epitaph on it reads:
The grave of Brigadier General John Nicholson who led the assault of Delhi but fell in the hour of victory mortally wounded and died 23rd September 1857 aged 35
The St. James’ Church, who owns the cemetery, is the oldest place of worship for the Christian community of Delhi. The church along with cemetery, St. Stephen’s hostel, and the Victorian era houses of Kashmere Gate neighbourhood were once considered to be “centripetal” part of Christians in Delhi.
According to the Indian Paranormal Society the headless apparition of John Nicholson haunts the place. There are also other speculations that the ghosts of Europeans haunt the place.
The British High Commission in India renovated the cemetery in 2006. It hired British multinational security services company G4S (formerly Group 4 Securicor) to provide security.