Shalimar Bagh was built by Mughal Emperor, Shahjahan in 1653, who had previously constructed a similar garden known as Shalimar Gardens at Lahore in 1641 AD. The garden, once known as “Aizzabad-Bagh”, was the site of the coronation of Aurangzeb on July 31, 1658. Originally, the garden contained a palace called Sheesh Mahal.
Shahjahan used this palace as a halting place on his royal trips to Kashmir, Punjab or Lahore. The garden was typically laid in a Mughal style and had a very good water supply and drainage system. The whole palace was decorated with colorful floral paintings, some of which can be seen even today on the outer walls of the room adjacent to the fountain tank. Renowned for its beauty, the garden and the palace were the favourite country house of the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb. During the British Raj, Sir David Ochterlony and Lord Metcalfe used the garden as their summer lodge. Later on, the land of Shalimar Bagh was developed by DDA.
At present, the beautiful Sheesh Mahal which is the part of “Haider Pur Village”, is in a serious state of neglect. There are numerous small wells and a ruined fountain network. However, traces of the Mughal garden can still be seen there in some parts of the park. One of the main attractions for visitors to the park is the variety of fruit trees and wild flowers.